1. What is Sold as Retired from Racing?
If an owner desires a Thoroughbred to be considered retired from racing, the completion of a Sold As Retired From Racing allows the owner to retire a Thoroughbred from racing without affecting its breeding privileges.
2. How does one complete a Sold As Retired From Racing?
Within 60 days after the date of sale, the Seller and Purchaser of a Thoroughbred are to complete a Sold As Retired From Racing form. Both signatures must be notarized. Please refer to Rule 18 in the Principal Rules and Requirements of the American Stud Book. The Certificate of Foal Registration, four (4) color photographs (front, both sides and rear views) must also be submitted to the Registry. Upon receipt in the registry office within 60 days from the date of the sale and compliance with all requirements, the Certificate of Foal Registration will be stamped "Retired from Racing" and returned to the purchaser.
3. Are Certificates previously cancelled as Sold Without Pedigree still cancelled?
Certificates of Foal Registration for Thoroughbreds that were recorded by the Registry Office as Sold Without Pedigree prior to March 2013 shall remain cancelled. The Sold Without Pedigree process has been replaced by Sold As Retired From Racing.
4. How is this information communicated to racetracks?
If an attempt is made to enter a Thoroughbred at a North American racetrack, the information is communicated electronically to racing officials that the horse is Sold As Retired From Racing.
5. If another process is completed with The Jockey Club on a Thoroughbred that is Sold As Retired From Racing, how is this noted?
Duplicate, Corrected, Export, and Import Certificates of Foal Registration are also stamped Sold As Retired From Racing upon issuance from the Registry Office.
6. Are foals produced from a Thoroughbred recorded as Retired from Racing eligible for registration with The Jockey Club?
Yes, foals produced by a sire or from a dam that is Sold As Retired From Racing remains eligible for registration with The Jockey Club. Please refer to Rule 1 in the Principal Rules and Requirements of the American Stud Book for eligibility requirements.
7. How can I find if a Thoroughbred has been Sold As Retired Racing?
This information can be found at the Interactive Registration website at http://www.registry.jockeyclub.com/registry.cfm?page=retiredFromRacingList
Note: To download a Sold As Retired From Racing form, please click here or contact The Jockey Club's Registry at (800) 444-8521 or (859) 224-2700.